I founded and coached at Cyber Team at the US Air Force Academy. The key things that I think I did that helped the team succeed were:
- Let students pursue their own interests. We were a club, not a class. Students came because they were having fun and learning things.
- Provide time and space for meetings.
- Encourage students to share what they’ve learned with each other.
- Get them used to using Google and not getting all their answers from you!
- After a competition is over, go figure out how to do the ones you got stuck on. CTFtime.org often has links to writeups, or Google the competition and problem name and read writeups/watch videos.